A Word From our Nurture Editor, Nina Edlin
This year is Nurture’s 52nd year of publication and we will have a new look and feel, a little bit of a refresh. In preparing to do so it has been wonderful to look back.
Nurture started when CEN was just beginning, it was understood that they needed a mechanism to continually communicate the heart of Christian education to parents and families. The editor at the time, Ray Hoekzema, noted in the first edition the intention to ‘strengthen the faith of parents who already sacrifice to provide for their children with Christ-Centred education’ and also the desire to prick the consciences of those who do not. It is interesting to reflect that now, 52 years later, the same intention is at the heart of the publication.
Each edition of Nurture is drafted with the following purpose:
- To challenge Christian parents to a fuller and deeper responsibility towards the training and education of their children;
- To bring before the Christian community the compelling claims of Christ-centred education which supports parents in this task.
As I grew up attending a couple of CEN schools, I had the opportunity to read Nurture on the way home on the bus, and while I didn’t realise it at the time, Nurture was having a shaping effect on my worldview, on my understanding of God’s sovereignty in all areas of life, and of the bigger picture around Christian education.
In this edition of Nurture we will hear from:
- Chris Prior who unpacks what makes CEN schools unique.
- Michelle Dempsey as she keeps us up to date with what has been happening with CEN.
- Chris Parker reflects on parenting in the digital age, how we and our children can be connected and yet lack connection.
- Patricia Weerakoon, following her presentation at the Principals and Executives Conference, looks at the developing teen brain and how we can encourage wisdom and self-control in this vulnerable time.
- Simon Lainson, who’s article reflects on our relationship with prayer.
- Penny Reeve looks how we can support families who foster children.
- NT Christian Schools and Sandy Galea look at why and how we can help our children memorise scripture.
- A student from Wellington Christian School shares her reflections on the Easter story.
As well as:
Back to newsletter index
- ‘What is Christian Education?’ free online course.
- Details on our 2018 Photo Showcase.
- We look how our boards are being trained in the Godly Governance Conference reflection.
- Revamped Kids’ Page.